Hoarding like a squirrel hoards nuts

A squirrel hoards nuts. Like a squirrel, I hoard. Not nuts though. Some might argue I hoard shoes (up to 91 pars not counting flip flops), but I consider that building a collection of beautiful art that makes me feel good and confident about myself when I wear them. No, I apparently hoard recipes. 

See?! 



I counted them. 39 not including the binders of recipes photocopied from books, printed from the Internet and handwritten recipe cards. Also, notice the stack of Food Network magazines on the top shelf. And two recipe card boxes. This hoard doesn't even include the stack of cookbooks I have in my spare room. I'm guessing approximately 20 in that stack. I obviously have a problem. 

The cookbooks in my spare room will eventually be gone. Hopefully sooner than later. They are cookbooks I just never look at. For example, there is a cookbook all about smoothies. I find yogurt disgusting so why do I have a smoothie book? I went through and found about five recipes that appealed to me. I wrote them down and now that book is in a pile to be donated. Either to the library (do they accept them?) or to Goodwill. I have a couple others that I've gone through that I'll be sending to my sister. Like the smoothie cookbook, I've copied the few recipes that I'm interested in. 

As I work on that, I need to go through all the recipes I've torn out from magazines, printed from the Internet and copied from books. I need to realistically look at them and consider if I will ever attempt them. I'm confident I probably have a half dozen different macaroni and cheese recipes. Too many? Most likely. After I do that, I need to get them organized. Do you have any suggestions? I'm all ears so please, please share. Maybe I'll send you a cookbook or collection of recipes I don't need. Ha. :) 

It makes sense that I have this small hoard. Yes, I consider it small because I do NOT qualify for Hoarders on A&E. I love to cook and bake. In a strange way, it helps me relax and I enjoy feeding people and making them happy with delicious foods. There are cookbooks I have made nothing from. It is a shame. I mentioned in The Nitty Gritty that I love to cook and bake and thought I might share a recipe or two. It will get boring if I only blog about diabetes so I've decided to challenge myself. It will be a long challenge but beneficial. My goal is to at least twice a month make something I haven't made from one of my cookbooks. My basis of twice a month is that I am single so it is pretty much only me eating whatever I make. A simple recipe of taco meat feeds me dinner for an entire week. And yes, I feel guilty throwing out the last serving or two because I'm just sick of eating taco meat. Also, I'm a ridiculously picky eater. I refuse to touch anything tomato related with a 10-foot pole. 

Here's the list of cookbooks on my shelf:
  • Hello, Cupcake!
  • What's New, Cupcake?
  • KitchenAid Baking Basics -- Used it
  • The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook --Used it
  • Everyday Food: Great Food Fast
  • Martha Stewart's Cupcakes -- Used it
  • Martha Stewart's Cookies -- Used it
  • Fondue
  • The Magic of Jelly
  • The Magic of Peanut Butter
  • Julia's Kitchen Wisdom
  • Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries & Sauces
  • Chevy's Fresh Mex Cookbook
  • Just Tasting Desserts
  • Just Tasting Appetizers
  • Top Secret Restaurant Recipes
  • Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 2
  • Grilled cheese, please!
  • Weber's Real Grilling
  • Williams-Sonoma Starters
  • Williams-Sonoma Main Dishes
  • Williams-Sonoma Desserts 
  • Relaxed Cooking with Curtis Stone
  • Morton's the Cookbook -- Used it
  • The Healthy Carb Diabetes Cookbook
  • Healthy Calendar Diabetic Cooking -- Used it
  • KitchenAid Best-Loved Recipes -- Used it
  • Food Made Fast: Grilling
  • Food Made Fast: Desserts
  • New Flavors for Chicken
  • The Everything Chinese Cookbook
  • The Produce Bible -- Used it
  • The Weeknight Cook -- Used it
  • Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook
  • Betty Crocker's Cookbook
  • Cakepops
  • Crock-Pot Made Simple
  • Williams-Sonoma Tools & Techniques -- Used it

If there is a recipe in one of these books you know of and you think I should try, let me know. It can be overwhelming looking through these cookbooks because there are so many options. 

In the meantime, I promise I'll do my best not to add to my hoarding. Full disclosure, I did just check out a fondue book from the library.  

Comments

Popular Posts