Trying to break the rules

I was born to break the rules. 

Okay. Now that you've stopped laughing at that statement, you are willing to agree with me that I rarely break the rules. It's a bad habit — following all of the rules out there. 

But finally, I am trying to break a rule. One specific rule. And it has been thrilling! 

The diabetes online community (DOC) discusses many, many things. One topic often discussed is the location of the CGM sensor. The FDA has approved my CGM sensor to be placed on my stomach and only my stomach. But everyone seems to be placing their sensors everywhere but their stomachs. I'm running out of space on my stomach. 

When I had my checkup recently I was able to talk with my pump/CGM trainer. So, I asked her about this. I told her I wanted to try my sensor in my thigh. Was this okay? Where should I put it? 

And then she told me a little "secret." She was wearing her sensor in her thigh for the first time that week. She encouraged me to try it. She had been having success with it there. She informed me the only reason the FDA has only approved the stomach area is because that was the only area it was tested on. 

So, when it was time that weekend to put in a new sensor, I sucked it up and stuck that sucker in my thigh. 

TA-DA!

Success! On the second attempt. The first attempt didn't quite work as I had left the transmitter on the counter in the other room and when I got up to go get it, the first sensor fell out of my skin. Probably should have put the adhesive on first and THEN gotten up to get the transmitter. Lesson learned. 

I had a great week with the sensor in my thigh. In fact, it was more comfortable than when it is in my stomach. I wasn't aware of it nearly as much, which was quite nice. The numbers from my sensor matched closely to the numbers on my meter which wasn't always the case when the sensor had been in my stomach, so that is a win indeed. 

I wish I had put some extra adhesive on the transmitter to keep it more secure as there was potential of removing the sensor and transmitter when pulling up/down clothing. In fact, I actually pulled it out Friday night but in fairness, I was sick with food poisoning and wasn't thinking about being cautious with the sensor and transmitter. But it was due to come out on Saturday so it nearly made it the entire six days. 

When it came time to replace my sensor, I put my new one in my other thigh. I think I placed it lower than where the first one was. I'll need to remember that as I prefer the higher location since it is shorts season. Having learned from Friday night's experience, I put a piece of adhesive tape over the transmitter to keep it extra secure and it has worked wonders. The numbers are still closely matching from my meter and my sensor. 

So, yes, FDA, I am breaking your rules but in all fairness, your rule limiting the use of the CGM to the stomach is ridiculous. I plan to continue using my thighs for my sensor. I'm sure my stomach is thrilled with this decision. 

Comments

  1. Thank you for this. I was looking to start testing additional locations as well. When my Endo first put me on a sensor, he placed it on my lower back. So I figured as long as the sensor and pump can still transmit to each other, I was good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts