Cookbook two ... conquered!

I've been slacking on conquering my cookbooks. Blame Pinterest people. Blame Pinterest.

I keeping finding intriguing recipes on Pinterest and then I feel obligated to try them. Just recently I've made taco egg rolls (brilliant!), banana bread waffles (delicious!), apple cinnamon fruit leather (not as great as mom's version), banana bread dip (yum!) and Snicker's seven-layer bars (a hit at the office). I'm sure I made other items too but those are what I can recall as I write this. 

So this weekend, I pulled another cookbook off the shelf to tackle. I grabbed Healthy Calendar Diabetic Cooking. There is an updated version so I grabbed it from the local library to compare recipes. There were quite a few recipes I flagged as possibilities and ultimately, I selected two to attempt -- Pecan Chicken and Tiramisu. 

The hardest part was trying to find ladyfingers for the tiramisu. FYI, Super Walmart and Super Target do not have them. On my third try, the local grocery store had them. Success! 

I made a few adjustments to the tiramisu recipe. Instead of plain vanilla pudding mix, I used French vanilla (both sugar-free). The recipe called for a one ounce box. All the boxes are more than one ounce so I took a risk and just used the entire box. Super Walmart only had original and sugar-free cool whip, not the low fat, so I went with the sugar-free. The recipe calls for a trifle bowl, which makes sense. I had to use a more traditional bowl and ended up not using all 24 ladyfingers.It was an easy recipe to make.

There was no need for adjustments to the pecan chicken. I only made two chicken breasts instead of four though, so I didn't use all of the "breading." This recipe was ridiculously easy and minimal time. 

While you all were enjoying fatty, unhealthy and obviously delicious foods for dinner during the Super Bowl, sat down to taste my diabetic recipes. 


Ta-da! The final product for dinner. (My photography skills were not up to par to do it justice.)
It all smelled delicious. It looked acceptable. The taste...

...was two thumbs up! Both items were really delicious. And filling. The tiramisu isn't as great as what you'd find at an Italian restaurant but it was not a poor stand it. It was just as good as the original so I have absolutely no complaints.

I brought leftovers for lunch the next day. The crust on the chicken wasn't as crispy as it was just out of the oven, but it still tasted good. The tiramisu still made me happy. The best part? I still have an entire bowl of it all to myself. Tiramisu is acceptable for breakfast, yet? 

A side-note if you are one to count carbs, my carb total for my dinner last night was 44g. 19 for the chicken, 19 for the tiramisu and 6 for a serving of dried apples. 

I think I'll keep this cookbook around and not be afraid of the recipes tasting bland. 

***** Tiramisu recipe *****

Serving size 1/2 cup
Carb count 19 grams

1 cup cold water
1 1-ounce package sugar-free vanilla instant pudding mix
1/2 cup powdered sugar
12 ounces light cream cheese
8 ounces fat-free whipped topping
1 cup hot water
2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
24 ladyfingers
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, divided

In a medium bowl, combine cold water vanilla pudding mix and powdered sugar and stir with whisk. Chill 20 minutes.

Add cream cheese to pudding mixture and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Fold in whipped topping.

In a small bowl or mug, mix hit water and coffee granules.

Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise. Arrange 16 ladyfingers halves flat side down in a trifle or large glass bowl. Drizzle ladyfingers with coffee. Spread 1/3 of pudding mixture over the ladyfingers and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cocoa. Repeat layers, ending with cocoa.

Cover and chill 4 hours or longer.

My notes:
-- I used Walmart's French vanilla sugar-free instant pudding mix. It was more than one ounce but I went ahead and used the entire box.
-- Make sure to have the whipped topping thawed before you need it to fold it in.

In the updated version of my cookbook (borrowed it from the library), the recipe was slightly different. Same serving size but only 16 grams if carbs if you make the following changes:
- 7 ounces of light cream cheese and 5 ounces of fat free cream cheese

Comments

Popular Posts