My one true love

If I were to write a post today about the thoughts in my head, I'd be taking you on a journey into deep, dark, unhappy thoughts. My head is in quite the funk right now and I'm trying to get it out but it is quite a struggle. I haven't had this big of a struggle for years and I hate that I'm experiencing it again. I'm learning my mind can sometimes (okay, realistically, it almost always is) my own worst enemy. BUT, from day one, I said I was going to do my best to keep this a "happy, upbeat" type of blog. So instead of throwing these unwelcome thoughts on you (which would probably get you down too and we just can't have that), I'm going to introduce you to my one true love...


ROCKY! 

Rocky is truly my one true lover. He is a long-hair chihuahua. He was born on November 12, 2007 and yes, we celebrate every birthday. He came into  my life on January 12, 2008 at the young age of 8 weeks. 

Really, would you have been able to say no to that little munchkin? I didn't think so. Why did I name him Rocky? Originally I thought about getting a second dog, maybe a Westie or Scottie, and naming it Bullwinkle. Then I could have Rocky and Bullwinkle. But in no time at all, I quickly learned Rocky is meant to be in a home where he is the only dog. He gets along great with other animals but he is used to being the center of attention and does not like having to fight for attention. And to answer the question in your head, yes, Rocky is 110 percent spoiled. 

Chihuahuas tend to get a bad rap. Typically they yip and yap and are ferociously protective of their owners. Rocky? Not so much. He rarely, I mean RARELY, barks and has never yipped or yapped. He is also the opposite of protective of me. He sees a new person and immediate things "Hey! You are going to be my new BFF!" He is my little shadow though. No matter where I go within the house or yard, he is at my side. Rocky also has never bitten a soul outside of his chew toys. A complete sweetheart.

Coming home to Rocky is wonderful. He is always so excited and happy to see me. He is also a little snuggle bug and loves to curl up with me. I told my doctor this morning I'm resigned to the fact I will die old and alone and without ever experiencing being loved by someone outside of my family, but if I think about it, I am experiencing love every single day because of Rocky. It is really one of the greatest feelings possible. He has also been instrumental in my diabetes. He seems to just "get it" when my sugars are off and he keeps me motivated to take care of myself. If I can't take care of myself, how can I take care of him?


Rocky is filled with energy. He is fast! And loves to play "chase." It is hilarious watching him run in the house because of all the wood floors. To his dismay, he does not get very much traction, if any at all, on those floors. I have numerous videos of him trying to run on the floor, all of which make me giggle — over and over. 

So, that is just a little about Rocky. I could go on and on about his awesomeness but I'll save it for another time. In the meantime, enjoy some more pictures. 





And yes, people love to say Rocky looks just like a gremlin. 
 

Comments

Popular Posts